[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:03:21 -0400

At 9:41 PM -0500 11/1/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>Cliff Benham wrote:
>
>>There was a similar occurrance reported on this list several months ago
>>of an Hispanic broadcaster in
>>Los Angeles, that got FCC permission to turn off it's analog UHF
>>transmitter and continue only over cable and
>>DTV. Shortly after shutdown they reported a loss of 38% of their viewers
>>or housholds, I don't remember which,
>>but in the piece this was said to be Nielsen data.
>>Perhaps a lot of their Hispanic audience doesn't have cable and is now
>>without any means of watching  the very programming
>>which is carried specifically for them?
>>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>>

>No way but to buy a digital receiver that is. I guess you write off OTA
>digital altogether as if this options simply doesn't exist.
>
>Bob Miller

For what it's worth, many LPTV stations are carrying Spanish Language
programming today. I suspect that many of these stations will still
be analog after the "Hard Date" that Congress is discussing. Then
again, I suspect that most full power NTSC stations will still be
broadcasting for years after that hard date.