[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:49:01 -0800

Seems it's an FCC licensing issue. Here's an e-mail from
Don Hackler (a KCSM employee) on the HDTV-in-SFbay
Yahoo group:

<Monty Python>It's not dead, yet!</Monty Python>

Permanantly turning off an analog transmitter is still a bit of a grey
area at the FCC.  We had to put a small temporary analog channel 60
transmitter back on the air to cover our city of license (San Mateo) to
avoid jeopardizing the digital channel 43 license in the interim.

It's located on the campus at the College of San Mateo (near 280 and 92)
and it's running about 15kW power. For comparison, the old channel 60 on
San Bruno mountain was about 1500kW, and substantially higher elevation.

Another interesting note... the old transmitter required 440V 3-phase
power and pulled about 100 amps per phase.   The new transmitter plugs
into a 220V 30 amp dryer outlet.

The branding will remain channel 43, as channel 60 is going away
eventually.  The content is a simulcast of digital 43-1, just like the
old channel 60.

- Don

I cannot receive even a hint of the 15kW transmitter at my lab in Milpitas,
about 25 miles away (mostly an over water path across the "bottom"
of the Bay). If they're trying to regain their audience, then it's
not a very effective measure.

Ron