[opendtv] Re: White paper from CEA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 10:51:09 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> The proof is in the lack of ATSC product.

Let's just for a second assume that Dale is right. The CE
companies, looking to maximize profits, only sell to the
umbillical service providers. Can you not accept that if
this were the case, COFDM-based DTT receivers would suffer
the same lack of availability as we see now?

Before you can decide what the cure is, you need to know
the disease.

I had really expected, after 8-VSB was essentially fixed
for indoor reception, that the CE vendors would get off
their butts and get product out there. In order to hold on
to your belief structure, you need to go on pretending
nothing got fixed. All these 5th gen receivers, and perhaps
even the Samsung prototype that appears to be a notch above
the LG, are just a figment of CRC's imagination, and they
have duped all the other people we've heard from, with
success stories. It's all a big lie.

> Have you noticed that most auto companies build the same
> car, with only minor modifications for local laws, to
> sell around the world?

You can repeat this if you like, but it doesn't make it
true. As I said before, depending on the time period, what
you say here was not the case. To continue marketing cars
to the US market, Euro companies in the 1970s and perhaps
1980s (I'm too lazy to check exact dates) in certain cases
had separate production lines. The much more stringent
emission laws here, which mandated use of 3-way catalytic
converters, electronic engine management, lead-free
gasoline, not to mention the 5 mph barrier crash test, made
some very odd cars for this market. Years later, Europe
adopted some of these same measures, and were able to avoid
a lot of the early not-so-good designs that we had to put
with.

The moral of that story is that companies can and do go to
great lengths to meet the requirements of different markets.

> If that doesn't do it for you, here's an example closer to
> your personal experience.  You ever notice that computer
> equipment sold worldwide is basically the same, with minor
> changes to accommodate local power requirements?

This proves nothing. Shampoo and dishwashing liquid might
also be identical for all markets. That does not mean that
all products sold must be identical. Clearly, TVs have NEVER
been, and it looks like now digital radio too has caught
this bug.

The very simple fact is, John, that companies like ST and
Micronas have already developed chip sets that can be used
to produce TVs for all markets. The same MPEG decoders are
married to ATSC or DVB-T front ends. So no big shakes here.
Nothing at all to prevent cost effective production.

So again, this idea that somehow all we need to do is adopt
DVB-T just sounds, how to put it, delusional. To me.