[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:22:13 -0700

From recent press on the Wilmington experiment it appears that some of this
markets DTV channels do not replicate current analog coverage. In a perfect
world, where unlimited channels with full power operation were available for
DTV allocations, this issue could be managed. However, in our world where
fewer channels are available and RF congestion in many overlapping markets
exists, major compromises were required to allocate a DTV channel for all
stations.

And as Don pointed out, all channels do not perform equally at equal power
levels.

Once again I'll repeat my original argument, which is simply that the FCC
should not (can not) feign surprise when replication is not achieved in many
areas.

Dale