[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: "Don Moore" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 06:26:38 -0400

The DTV Switch could have been an great opportunity to equalize the
differences in coverage between V's and U's; giving the U's who came
to the party late an opportunity to play on a level field.  The powers
that be opted to replicate the coverage, thus keeping the playing
field favorable to VHF/older stations.

Fortunately, in the large majority of the country, coverage is
irrelevant.  Cable/satellite carrage is king.  Let's just do the
"wink, wink, nod, nod" and tell folks the truth.  Even in the messages
broadcasting the DTV switch - "don't worry if you have cable or
satellite" - it's a shame that we have spent all this money on
transmitters and antennas to just estimate a coverage map that can be
used to force cable to pay the station to be placed on the cable
line-up.

May be the Bean Counters will figure it out.

Don Moore
Greensboro