[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:57:49 -0400

Again, the question is whether it will be 'good enough' with digital TV.

And I think the country will reach some sort of informal consensus by next spring. Theory and stated requirements for 30' rotor antennas will be less relevant then in the face of actual consumer opinion, one way or the other.

But hey, we've only got 4-5 more months to bicker about it until we can just see what happens. ;-)

As a good democrat (this year) I'll go along with the majority opinion once we can see what that is.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

Going forward everyday us old folks are fading away and young
people are inheriting this world. They are NOT interested in
things that have problems even minor ones. They have been
spoiled maybe but I cannot blame them.

Especially once they see how easy they can get TV on a cell
phone and other mobile devices OTA. 8-VSB OTA has no chance ...

Just as I thought, Bob, with indoor antenna, she has abysmal reception
of all TV, be it analog or digital. That's why such a small number of
analog channels are even viewable, forget about acceptable, in a market
such as NYC.

In such circumstances, of course, digital TV would most likely be over
the cliff.

But again, instead of making high drama out of something obvious, what
would the European experience be, in similar circumstances?

Simple answer: call the antenna guy. He would install a proper antenna
way up top. That's what they do.

Over here, in such circumstances, almost everyone happily caves in and
buys cable. Even if the building once had a central antenna system, and
this one must have had, that internal coax plant was most likely usurped
by the cable company long ago.