[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:24:08 -0400

How much of this is due to co- or adjacent channel interference? How much is due to the predicted UHF equivalent coverage power level not replicating a low VHF station's NTSC pattern? How much is due to receiver front end desensitizing from a nearby high power UHF, preventing reception of a further UHF (a problem my station is already facing)? How much of this is due to the very large disparity in FCC authorized UHF power levels of different stations in the same market? Two VHF stations in our market are authorized 1 MW ERP, while the others are authorized in the neighborhood of 50KW ERP.

What I never found out was are all of the Wilimgton stations on their final channels at final power, and are the stations in adjacent markets also on final frequencies? Three stations in our market are out-of-core, and as a result we're not sure what our final coverage will be when we light up for the first time on channel 40 on 18 Feb.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Martin said that perhaps 15% of the nation's TV
stations might have carriage shrink "in a significant way," similar to the
changes in WECT's coverage area.
He added that the effect of that changed contour was the key lesson learned
from Wilmington. He said FCC engineers were working on identifying all of
those markets -- he said it would take a few weeks -- and the FCC would
address remedies on a case-by-case basis, calling it the "highest priority"
for the commission. Subcommittee chairman Ed Markey (D-Mass.) told Martin
the issue needed resolving "very soon," at least by communicating the fact
to viewers who might lose their signals do to coverage-area changes.

Broadcasting & Cable