[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:30:51 -0400

 > It is obvious that there is no market-into-market competition
 (interference) if a market is not served with the programming.
 This is not the case for the discussion at hand.

Too bad. It is the case. They have four local stations, and so does
Gainesville. Whether they carry SD versions of missing networks in
multicast streams, I don't know.

There you go again. The discussion was about the NBC and CBS affiliates in Wilmington and the changes in their coverage as a result of moving to digital. NBC IMPROVED their in-market coverage but lost some adjacent market coverage. CBS went full power digital improving their in market coverage and radiating their signal into adjacent markets that are already served.

The bottom line is still the same. The ATSC system replicates the same BAD characteristics of NTSC when it comes to market-into-market interference.

If we want a market based system, there is far superior transmission technology (both modulation and network design) that will control the coverage area, reduce market-into-market interference AND improve spectral re-use, allowing more stations in virtually ALL markets.

Perhaps when TV broadcasting as we know it goes belly up we will be able to recover the spectrum and use it properly for the benefit of all Americans.