[opendtv] Re: Martin: 15% of Stations Face Smaller DTV-Coverage Areas

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:04:08 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Seems to me that Wilmington NC and Gainsesville FL are
>> similar, in that neither has the "full complement" of OTA
>> networks available to them. But at least, Wilmington was
>> able to get some channels from Raleigh.
>
> We do not have access to adjacent market signals, unless
> you want to put up a 50 foot tower and pray that you can
> get enough margin for digital reception of the stations in
> Jacksonville and Orlando.

Right, I understood that. Which is why I wrote "But at least, Wilmington ... ."
Meaning, Wilmington has an "out" that Gainesville doesn't have.

> Personally, I think that the FCC is WRONG to be concerned
> about the ability to receive out of market stations; why
> have a market based system if you are going to help
> out-of-market stations compete with in-market stations.

Anyone in the employe of an MVPD would of course agree with you. But consumers
who want to continue to use the MVPDs' competition, as they have been for
decades, should not have to worry that their govt is now in bed with the MVPDs.
That's why the FCC MUST take this into consideration.

The nice thing about wireless has always been that you're not tied to an
umbillical. Those who use wireless take that feature as far as they reasonably
can.

> In reality, what the FCC is trying to protect is the LEGACY
> of market-into-market "interference."

In this Wilmington example especially, I say "nonsense."

If NBC is unavailable OTA in a market, there's no "interference" going on at
all for a consumer to go fetch NBC from an adjacent market. The only
"interference" I can possibly imagine would be that the consumer is interfering
with the local MVPD's desire to kill competing FOTA media.

Once again, I view all of this from the European angle. European TV is built on
a system of relatively low power translators, scattered hither thither and yon.
Households are expected to aim their antennas at whatever translators best
cover their location, and that is often NOT the translators that are
geographically the closest.

As far as I'm concerned, the same holds here, and that's what the FCC is
thankfully concerning themselves about.