[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 04:17:36 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

You should more think the burden is on those who believe that LG had
something economically feasible when it demonstrated the cold fusion
box.

And no, I don't know the reason either, but I assume it is not
economically desirable for LG to put those boxes on the market.

Call it cold fusion or whatever, apparently perfectly adequate and low cost 5th gen LG based PC cards have been marketed, so it does not seem like any leap of faith to think that LG could have packaged similar electronics in an updated version of their then-existing 3rd gen STBs and PVRs. That's all I'm saying. This idea that cost is an issue just doesn't hold any water.

If these devices are capable of receiving Baltimore stations from around these parts, reliably, with indoor antennas exclusively, as reported, they are good enough for a very large chunk of the OTA viewership. Which the 3rd gen devices were not. Even if these are not at the level of the prototype box tested in Mark's apartment.

March 2007 is drawing close. Let's see what happens to the many, many NTSC DVDRs currently on the market. If history is our guide, they will disappear to be replaced by nothing at all. And people will still be talking about cold fusion, even though there's perfectly functional and low cost ATSC receivers out there now, and a market for OTA/cable devices. (Or the DVDRs wouldn't be on shelves now, would they.)