[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:31:24 -0800

Where's the news?

The two top-rated newscasts in LA for the last three years have been Spanish
language.

Here's a funny clue about that.  In these cities, there are disproportionate
numbers of low-income, Spanish-speaking people, many of them in the U.S.
unlawfully.

If you have access to, and watch Spanish-language newscasts in the U.S., you
might notice that there is a (compared to English-language newscasts)
disproportionate number of stories from outside the U.S., in places where
these folks were born and raised.

They have interest in "back home" news, they have -- most lacking cable --
fewer viewing options at the time of newscasts, they speak the language of
the newscasts.

The funny thing is that, as many people know, Spanish-speaking people are
undersampled in TV and radio ratings.  I haven't investigated how this is
managed, so the ratings in reality might be higher due to the undercounting,
or lower due to overcompensation.

Somehow, this seems like an argument for the power of over the air
television.  Are these Spanish-language stations "defending the NTSC
franchise" or are they serving audiences?  (gotcha)

John Willkie