[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:18:36 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

The big numbers of OTA exclusives all cluster in larger
cities according to your list. I think most of us assumed
that.

These folks are more likely to know nothing about the
coming transition, have little access to rooftop antennas
and be willing to make a very big fuss when even a
minute of their favorite program goes missing.

It is going to be interesting since the US will be going
more cold turkey with the worst modulation and least
educated public of any country so far. Basically our OTA
tranistion will BEGIN in early 2009.

Only the last sentence made any sense to me.

The obvious point you miss, who knows why, is that those viewers with access to the major markets' OTA transmitters are the ones with adequate choice in OTA TV. So of course, those markets have a very high percentage of OTA users.

We have just finished looking at Gainesville and Santa Barbara markets, and how thoroughly inadequate the OTA choice is in these parts. Why is it that you don't figure that in your thinking, instead of pretending COFDM has anything to do with anything?

We also finished looking at how much effort is spent installing adequate OTA facilities in Euro markets, vs here. Why is it that this also doesn't figure in your thinking?