[opendtv] Re: Fewer than 2 Million have OTA DTV in US

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 21:54:14 -0500

inline ...
John Willkie wrote:
I believe I answered this in advance.  Local-into-local in 1999 "unleashed"
the DBS business; access to local channels provides much of the draw for
cable.

We will, apparently, get a couple of chances in the near future to see what
happens to a cable system or systems without local channels.  If I've read
news reports accurately, on January 6, 2007, MediaCom loses access to
Sinclair stations in multiple markets.

MediaCom has replaced local channels in some markets with not-so-local
stations with the same networks.  Maybe those 'distant' stations will change
to include coverage of the distant markets; most likely they won't.

So, MediaCom cable subscribers who can't get the signals over the air or
don't want to try, will have the option of satellite local-into-local or
distant stations.  It will be interesting to watch.

That will indeed be an interesting experiment to watch. But I'm surprised that cable companies can deal with a distant affiliate of a network in competition with the local one. I thought the local station would have an exclusive contract with the network for that area. Is that changing, or not the case?

Also, Tom, you've minimized the "economy of scale" argument.  Local stations
that affiliate with networks have the same benefit of that economy of scale.
Imagine a station in Tulsa trying to produce something as well-produced and
popular as "Desparate Housewives."

The economy of scale argument for the networks works TWO ways; national
exposure for their advertisers, and the tie-ins with their owned and
operated stations.

I don't disagree here. My reference to economy of scale was just in comparing non-network non-affiliate stations with those somehow carrying network or nationally desirable content. Any dollars per minute paid to produce or acquire content can obviously be MUCH higher given the potential viewing eyeballs of national exposure. So they can afford to throw more money at having better content based upon the larger viewing, larger total ad sales, etc.

- Tom

Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com