[opendtv] Re: Execs see challenges bringing Net video to TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:11:58 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> But one of the main debates here was whether whether there
> could possibly be enough bandwidth on the Internet to
> compete with broadcasting.

I think that's not the issue, exactly.

"The Internet" is a large, messy, fairly uncontrolled amalgam of
multiple ISP networks operating over several big carrier networks. I
don't think anytime real soon can massive amounts of high quality TV
streams be sent through this Internet with enough quality to satisfy
most consumers. Eventually, of course, especially if there's some
incentive for the ISPs to collaborate closely together as they would
have to.

All you have to do is follow the discussions on the IETF multicast
groups to see why this is so. It all comes down to what's in it for each
ISP?

But that's why I keep harping on ISPs. Within their own domain, they can
provide some level of quality assurance, they can implement any amount
of multicast they see fit, they can install distributed video servers,
etc. They can make this happen.