[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:45:42 -0800

Life is short, and work is long.

EVERY TIME I DOWNLOAD QUICK TIME in the last few years, I have had to 1)
Make sure and go through extensive work to make sure that I don't download
the version bundled with iTunes, which I do not need; 2)despite the above, I
still seem to get iTunes, since Apple lies about this and 3) I get a "free
bonus" of Apple Updater, which I don't need and which, shortly after each
time I boot, "calls home" and sometimes prompts me for a download (and if I
reject it, repeatedly prompts me to download and install) the items
mentioned in 1 and 2 above, all over again.

This is all draining, and I DON'T NEED THE MULTIPLE HASSLES, all over again.
VLC serves my needs to play QuickTime files, which I seldom view anyway.

It ain't really "free", and it ain't quality.  I can never view videos
full-screen, there is always a border, and the application never fills the
screen, but I can do all this and more (and play any media file except DVDs
and Real) with VLC.  www.VideoLan.org.  Which is almost completely free; it
checks for upgrades once a week or so, not EACH TIME I BOOT UP.

I also have to do some of the above with Adobe Acrobat (free version), but I
actually use that all the time, so it's much less hassle for much greater
utility.

Of course, being an Apple fan-boy, the hassles just confirm to you the value
of being an Apple fan-boy.

Being a software writer, I have set my firewall to require me to approve
each application and process that attempts to connect to the Internet, so I
can make sure that only known sub-systems can do this.  I pay close
attention to which IP addresses are being accessed before I approve
anything.  Periodically, I reset the white list to nothing, just to make
sure that no applications I know nothing about are phoning home.  And, no I
don't use Vista.

Apple and Adobe are among the worst offenders.

John Willkie