[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:35:13 -0500

At 11:19 PM -0500 12/12/08, Richard C. Ramsden wrote:
1) Don't get into interface design. Quicktime has the same interface on every OS it runs on. It was designed to run on apple OS. Programming in it on Widows can be a pain, but not impossible. As it is an industry standard, I would suggest that anyone's issues with the interface have to do with personal experience and bias.

2) bloat?  compared to what?

3) codecs. Perhaps you may have noticed that Quicktime on windows does not include a MPEG2 codec. Apple's windows MPEG2 codec is junk. Other than edit suites, who uses Quicktime MPEG2 files on Windows? If you are actually using the Quicktime SDK it is not hard to use whatever codec you want.

An additional point. Apples DVD player app plays MPEG-2 files from DVD using the QuickTime plumbing. The $19.95 MPEG-2 add on for QuickTime allows you to work with MPEG-2 transport streams and files that are not part of a DVD.

As for the quality of the Windows MPEG-2 component I have no experience. Most people who create DVDs on PCs use applications that bypass QuickTime entirely.