[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:26:24 -0500

At 3:52 PM -0800 12/12/08, Kon Wilms wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 And it is clear that you don't have a clue about QuickTime.

What's there to know besides the fact that it is a bloated piece of
software that can't even go so far as to obey human interface design
guidelines? I can't name one person that thinks it is any good --
except people who are not computer savvy to start off with. Most
Windows users who don't know any better often refer to it in sentences
containing at least 2 or more expletives.

Windows users:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm

That is all.

Kon

I respect your opinions.

If one is looking at QuickTime simply as a media player, I would agree that it appears bloated and that there may be alternatives that are better. I too have multiple media players on my MacBook Pro.

But the main reason for the 'bloat" is that QuickTime is a media architecture, not a media player - the player function is but a small part of the whole.

QuickTime is an indispensable tool for anyone who creates content. And the QuickTime File Format was adopted by ISO MPEG and the ITU as the format container for h.264.