[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:08:17 -0500

At 2:48 PM -0800 12/13/08, John Willkie wrote:
And, I should point out, I know of no plug-ins for Windows Media Player or
VLC that provide this functionality either.  Part of the problem is the "up
to 216 mb/sec" nature of DVB-ASI.  Much simpler to figure out which program
service within the transport stream to render than to process the entire
transport stream.  That's what non-professional gear does.

You are correct. Apple, Microsoft and others have largely ignored the space in which you and Tom play. Hard to blame them considering the universe of clients is numbered in the tens of thousands (if that) rather than tens of millions. At least Kon is playing in a consumer-ish space where millions of boxes are built every year.

Apple has sold more than 5 billion songs and tens of millions of TV shows and movies. Microsoft isn't doing too bad either, especially with the Xbox platform.

Different strokes for different folks.

The issue at hand is where is all of this headed.

Should I place my bets on Apple...

or you.

What you are referring to is the creation and analysis tasks of the 1990's,
and in non-broadcast environments.

I am referring to the the business of content creation: Shooting, editing and distribution. I am talking about several hundred thousand independent producers who earn a living creating content for a multitude of distribution platforms.

I am NOT talking about creating MPEG-2 transport streams for broadcasters

But we, and many other forums, ARE talking about how much longer broadcasters can survive.

In broadcast environments at least, they are much different these days, and
DVB-ASI (and to a small extent, SMPTE-310) are simply required.

Agreed.

I honestly hope that there is enough business there for you to make a good living.