[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:29:02 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Barry Brown wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I'm in a unique location and situation, but I reliably
>> receive all eight local DT channels (plus some sub-channels)
>> using a fixed attic antenna and all these channels appear in
>> an integrated EPG from a Dish 622 receiver. I'm 35 miles from
>> the antenna farm and couldn't be happier. I see no need for
>> LIL. It's a waste of spectrum space, AFAIC.
>
> Looks like you are far enough away from the transmitters to get
> reliable reception without having to aim the antenna or deal
> with significant multipath issues. If you lived in an apartment
> in the urban core of the market it might be a different matter.

Or not.

I agree with your general assessment, though, and I doubt seriously that
Barry's situation is so very unique. Even though anyone who uses ATSC on
here is considered a special case, for some reason.

I also get reliable reception of the Baltimore and the Annapolis
stations with a single antenna, and all but three local stations. I
would expect that a combined ATSC/DBS user would perhaps only require
the local channels, so they would probably get away with either an omni,
if local stations were close by, or a higher gain antenna pointed in one
direction, if "local" stations are far away as in Barry's case.

Whereas an all-OTA user wants every station he can possibly receive.

> But you also need to ask yourself how many people in your market
> would bother putting an antenna in the attic?

Once the owner, or the DBS guy, goes to install the satellite dish, it's
not such a big deal to install the OTA antenna too. Some of these clip
onto the dish itself.