[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:34:08 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I did forget the wall wart, but they cost about $0.25 in volume.  I'm not
sure that the dongle doesn't have an MPEG-2 demux nor AC-3.  I assume they
covered the IP cost of both, so you're talking about one or two ICs.

Does your dongle (Diamond HDTV100?) have RCA jacks for video and audio
output?  Does your dongle have NTSC RF Channel 3/4 output suitable for an
NTSC television?  No?  Then no MPEG to NTSC decoder, and no Dolby AC3
decoder, and no RF modulator.  With most dongles, those tasks are done in
software on the computer, the same way you watch video DVDs on your
computer, and piggyback the MPEG and Dolby licenses to the computer's DVD
playback license.

Unless NTSC lives inside of your dongle on some chip's unterminated pin, you
need to add more hardware than just repackaging your dongle in a larger
plastic case, as you dismissively implied.  Not a daunting task, but would
most likely need to be housed in a cigarette pack sized case, both for the
real estate needed on the back for the required inputs/outputs, and for the
circuit board inside with it's additional 2-3 chips and associated discrete
components.

I already included NTSC and S-video output, and I was not aware that HDMI
was required on analog-only outputs.  Is this in the NAB RFP or NTIA's
requirements, or the law?

Did you read the part where I said you can delete the HDMI connector to be
coupon eligible?  And yes, the NTIA prohibits HDMI or any other HD output.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frnotices/2007/DTVFinalRule_technical.htm

Disqualifying features - Outputs:

Digital Video Interface (DVI);
Component video (YPbPr);
High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI);
Computer video (VGA);
USB IEEE-1394 (iLink or Firewire)
Ethernet (IEEE-802.3)
Wireless (IEEE0802.11)

Did the NTIA mandate EPG?  I thought they forbiade it.  I said nothing
about
cheapening the dongle's parts.

They did not mandate EPG, but they did mandate PSIP, and permit EPG.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frnotices/2007/DTVFinalRule_2e.htm
75. After reviewing the comments received on the NPRM, NTIA requires that
the converter box receive, decode and display information contained in the
PSIP broadcast pursuant to the A/65 standard. NTIA notes that television
receivers must decode the PSIP in order to display the parental controls
required by the FCC. The basic capability of decoding PSIP information,
therefore, is already required of all converter boxes. Moreover, with PSIP
functionality incorporated in ATSC tuner chips, it would be costly and
impractical to require manufacturers to build converters without such
functionality.

76. Further, NTIA will permit, but not require, a CECB to display other
electronic program information. As noted by many of the commenters, this
capability will assist the consumer in navigating through the many channels
that will be provided by digital broadcasters. NTIA believes the means to
achieve such electronic program information should be left to the judgment
of individual receiver manufacturers who will be permitted to make hardware
and software modifications necessary to display electronic program
information.

John