[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: Neil Pickford <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:22:08 +1000

The front end of my system is still Digital.

I am still watching DTV on the bedroom LCD monitor and every other computer on the 100 Mbit network (including lounge).

To do this I am using 2 x A$70 LeadTek DVB1000T DVB-T pci tuner cards to receive the transport stream in a A$150 second hand 1.6 GHz P4 computer (including XP PRO) with WebScheduler a free automatic guide collection and scheduling package.

So for around A$300 plus a big HDD upgrade A$120 one can have quite a reasonable automatic home OTA media server system which is truely flexible. Allowing editing & archiving as well. No subscriptions at all.

It's something you have to experience.
Once you do experience non-linear viewing the old linear viewing becomes a bit boring - we don't do it much now.

Neil Pickford
Australia

Albert Manfredi wrote:

-snip-

Neil Pickford wrote:

Lots of them in Australia.
LCD mainly with both Computer & Television Application.

Must be the high cost of them DVB-T receivers, eh? :)

In principle, in a country where 75 percent of the population watches OTA TV, you'd think that simple economy of scale would dictate a built-in digital receiver. Or maybe the CE manufacturers are happy to make a bigger profit by selling two boxes instead of one.

Either way, my bet is that consumers will revolt and demand the single TV once your analog shutoff date comes near. I don't think the home-network-with-monitors-and-central-media-server will be any more ubiquitous in Australia than it has turned out to be here.