[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:50:10 -0400

I was wrong about integrated tuners. My thinking was that the extra
cost would give a competitive advantage to those who sold tunerless TV
sets. The lower cost of tuners probably because of the mandate seems
the main reason there are few monitors.

And any fear that retailers would have of a lot of returns of heavy
unwieldy HDTV sets because of problems with OTA reception have been
ameliorated because, ONE, very few people are using OTA, TWO, 8-VSB
receivers are better and THREE people are excepting of the fact that
OTA doesn't/isn't supposed to have decent reception. They don't know
any better and no one is telling them.

8-VSB modulation is still the worst modulation in the world by a wide
margin, not  acceptable for a nation like the US.

Bob Miller

On 7/12/07, John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That wasn't the original presumption.  Bob and others presumed that the
manufacturers would somehow be afraid to include ATSC tuners - both because
of the added cost, and because it was thought it would cause some huge
public relations nightmare when they didn't work.

What a big surprise when neither fear came to pass!

Oh and Craig, is HDTV still a niche market?