[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:19:07 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

The fact that virtually no one is using OTA is still true after
almost TEN years.

Prove it, Bob. Don't just say these things because they fit some preconceived notion you might have.

There are more than a few people who use DTT in combination with DBS. Perhaps this will also be true with cable subscribers, if cable companies carry through their plan of incorporating OTA receivers.

There is a growing number of people who try out the built-in receivers in their new sets without making a federal case out of it. There are secondary sets around the house. And then there's that 15 or so percent who use OTA exclusively, and to which the broadcasters have given virtually NO INCENTIVE at all to switch over to DTT yet. (Unless they already own HDTV sets and want that higher quality, soldiering on with NTSC gives this group about the same selection as the DTT group.)

We've seen the figures from time to time, and they are far from "virtually no one." The number suggest overall close to or beyond 30 percent OTA usage. We have seen no figures yet to show how integrated receivers might cause the NTSC users within this group to migrate to DTT. If you have credible numbers, recent ones (after 1 March 2007), please do share with us.

That is even worse that I would have predicted in 2000
when we talked of five years before 8-VSB  was "fixed"
good enough to be useful.

It was. By then, the 5th gen LGs and the ATI Xilleons, and others, were already out in integrated sets. And working quite well, by all reports I read and heard. In fact, that was when I finally got fed up waiting for a 5th gen STB to come on the market, and bought the Accurian. So yes, by 2005, the fix definitely was in.

Five years was the "pessimistic prediction"

Naturally, since the initial fixes were in by very early in 2002. Have you seen any public service announcement on any OTA station yet, explaining anything to do with DTT? No? I haven't either. Gee, I wonder if that might have something to do the lack of hype.

The good modulations that will be used on channels above 51
will drive out the bad modulation below 51.

Yes, because TV broadcast, by subscription, to cell phones, has been such a rage everywhere else in the world. Sounds really likely, Bob.