[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:11:34 -0500

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

>> But, there aren no anamorphic blu-rays, so it isn't
>> really an issue.
>
> Huh ? There is no good definition of "anamorphic", but
> I've understood it to mean that the picture is looking
> horizontally compressed on a 4:3 TV.

Yeah, Donald.

In DTV, you could argue that 1280 X 720 or 1920 X 1080 are 1:1, as you (Donald)
say. But in fact, those wide screen formats are called "anamorphic," I'm pretty
positive, because they stretch out what was traditionally a 4:3 TV frame into
16:9. They do not achieve 16:9 by cropping a 4:3 frame, rather by stretching it
out horizontally.

I'm saying, Jeroen, that when the TV signal is transmitted in these formats,
i.e. 1080i or 720p, I can't make my TVs or my STBs zoom in correctly, ever. So
for example, if that 720p or 1080i content happens to be postage stamp, I must
view it that way. This is exactly the same problem experienced by Cliff. He
cannot zoom in on anamorphic 16:9 (which contains 4:3 pillarboxed content).

And by the way, this is also true for these 1080i or 720p signals when recorded
on my Philips SD PVR. You'd think, with HD recorded as SD, I'd be able to zoom
in correctly in playback. Nope. Only if I record 480i subchannels can I then
zoom in as expected.

[About the new 21:9 Philips monitor]

> Any 2.35:1 content that is letterboxed in a 16:9 signal
> format can be zoomed to undistorted 21:9 full-screen.
> SD as well as HD. Of course, the best quality is with a
> movie on BluRay, then you have 3/4 * 1080 = 810 lines
> of vertical resolution. This is more than enough for
> this screen size.

Oh, okay, so somehow you made it work now.

So here's the deal, Jeroen. What always made 16:9 an attractive choice was that
we knew, even before 1994, that before too long, most new TV programming would
be adopting this aspect ratio. So even if you had to watch a lot of pillarboxed
content initially, the situation would rectify itself in due course.

With 21:9? Aside from the DVD or BDs of 2.35:1 (letterboxed) movies, will TV
productions be migrating to Cinemascope format anytime soon?? Or may this just
be the choice for 2.35:1 movie aficionados?