[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:32:41 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff Benham wrote:

You are wrong because a postage sized image of a 4:3 film
on a 4:3 monitor is absolutely useless to anyone.

Hey Cliff, are you pulling a "Craig" on me?

I think only Craig can do that, I'm not THAT talented! #;^)

This is not a value judgment on the virtue of postage stamp formats. This is
merely an explanation of what you were seeing.

Cliff:
This is only about what I see. It looks wrong because it does not fill the screen. Is that a value judgement or a correct observation?

Not only that but on three different 16:9 displays the Oz
film and two other 1.33:1 aspect ratio films do not play
with the correct aspect ratio. Check it out: Look at the MGM
logo; the ring around Leo should be round but it displays as
compressed horizontally. These disks don't play correctly on
either 4:3 or 16:9 displays with the correct aspect ratio.

This part is more mysterious and troubling, although (in the image you sent)
slightly more subtle.