[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:30:37 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff Benham wrote:

What specific make and model Blu-Ray are you using?  The
instructions for the Philips BDP-7200 Blu-Ray player
specifically shows a "4:3 pan and scan" NTSC mode, which
is what I always set on my DVD players when connected to
a 4:3 television.

Manual: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp7200_f7/bdp7200_f7_dfu_aen.pdf
Read Page 35.
John

None of the examples on page 35 shows a 1.33:1 4:3 film
being played, only 16:9. This is the problem I think. 1.33:1
4:3 is being ignored by Blu-ray.

Cliff, it does show 4:3 content, but only in a 16:9 display.

Bert, it shows a 4:3 source 'mapped' into a 16:9 Blu-ray format which is very different than a real 4:3 source. I can play the standard Oz DVD [a real 4:3 source] on the blu-ray player and the pan and scan mode works properly. When playing the standard DVD on a 4:3 monitor it displays an image that is 4:3 and fills the frame properly.
Pan and Scan does not work properly with a 1.33:1 film on a Blu-ray disk.

Look at the bottom example. And also, page 35 certainly "implies" that 4:3 content can be displayed on a 4:3 set. Look at the bottom example, un-squeeze it, and send to a 4:3 display.

What I'm trying to get across here is that it can't be unsqueezed. For whatever reason, the Pan and Scan feature does not work with 1.33:1 films on Blu-ray disks.

It should result in a full frame 4:3 image on 4:3 set.

It does not. I just returned from the local movie rental store with the B&W 1.33:1 Warner film, Casablanka on Blu-ray. It plays with a 1:1 square aspect ratio on the 4:3 monitor and slightly squeezed on the 16:9.

But that's not your situation, I don't think. I think you are describing
anamorphic 4:3 stored on the disk, with two black columns hard-coded as part of
the content, meant for correct rendition on a 16:9 display.

If this is happening with the 4:3 disks I'm playing, it shouldn't.

Anamorphically squeezing a 4:3 film into a 16:9 format is the wrong way to author the disks for two reasons. One, it precludes playing a 4:3 image out of the NTSC spiggot. Two, it takes away the choice of the customer to watch the film in a proper 4:3 aspect ratio on his 16:9 display or if he so chooses, to expand it to fill the screen.

 And you're trying to send it to a 4:3 display.

Yes and I should absolutely be able to and expect it to display with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Why this isn't correct on a proper 16:9 display is a mystery. Unless the display is
actually one of those annoying 16:10 displays that pretends it's a 16:9. (Like my
old 26" LCD.)

Bert
The RCA F-38310 is true 16:9 HD set.

Cliff