[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:20:58 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff Benham wrote:

In the picture monitor screen shot below, the squeezed 1:1
aspect ratio of the Blu-ray NTSC output is quite evident.
The Ring around Leo should be perfectly round. It is oval.

That looks exactly the same as a DTV STB set for 16:9, but being output to a
4:3 TV set.

Except that on the several STBs I own, the settings for screen shape actually work properly whereas the ones on the two Blu-ray players I tested DO NOT.

On a 4:3 monitor that can't zoom, my bet is that the image SHOULD BE only be
viewable in postage stamp format, if the BD player were set correctly.

Bert how can you possible think this is 'the way it should work'? Why would anyone want to view a square 1:1 'postage-stamp sized image on a 4:3 monitor? Again I repeat that the screen shape settings 'Pan and Scan' on the players DO NOT WORK PROPERLY when playing a 1.33:1 film!!!

The waveform monitor shows the very wide blanking that
corresponds to the 1:1 aspect ratio of the picture. You can
count it out for yourself. It's about 30 microseconds.

Yes, but that would be correct for painting a 16:9 image, with black columns
left and right, on a 16:9 screen, right? And the image would then be stretched
out to a 4:3 actual image aspect ratio (the rest being the black columns).

For whatever reason, you are sending an image to the 4:3 monitor that is
expecting to be viewed on a 16:9 monitor.

Bert

Again I repeat that the 'Pan and Scan' setting on the Blu-ray players does not work. AND the 4:3 image is compressed slightly horizontally on a 16:9 screen.

Go back a day or so to Jerone's post where he says 4:3 is not a part of Blu-ray. This is a huge miss especially with all the 70th anniversary 1.33:1 films coming out on Blu-ray.

Cliff