[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 07:39:26 -0400

Cliff,

You're almost there! That looks to be the Sony's menu screen. On page 54 of the Sony manual it says:

" [Problem] The picture does not fill the screen, even though the aspect ratio is set in "DVD Aspect Ratio" under "Video Settings." [Solution] The aspect ratio of the disc is fixed on your DVD (page 42)."

Looks like you need to aim your complaints at MGM, not Sony or Philips.

At least the Philips has a 1.2X zoom feature, so if you do get the same "postage stamp" image out of it, you should be able to zoom in to fill a 4:3 screen. It seems the Sony doesn't have a zoom feature.

BTW, we still have a couple of those same Tektronix video monitors in use at our station.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I followed your instructions and got a smaller *letterboxed* 4:3 image
with these settings, and same on the Philips player.

Now there is a 1+ inch black border around the 4:3 image on the screen
from both players.

The 12 inch Tek monitor now has an 8 inch diagonal image on it.
This is not underscan, you can see the raster out to the edge of the
screen, wasting what? about 1/3 of the screen area.