[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:53:25 -0500

> In a 4:3 set, this becomes a letterboxed wide screen
> image, with built-in pillars as part of the data. So of
> course, it ends up postage stamp.
>
> You cannot zoom in, with the old monitor, so of course
> postage stamp is all you can get.

Matter of fact, having said this, none of the HD sets or STBs I have ever
allows correct zoom with anamorphic content, I've noticed. So it's not the
monitor's fault.

Which means, if the postage stamp image is a 4:3 SD source (e.g. 480i TV
subchenel or DVD) that was letterboxed, then yes, you can zoom in to fill the
screen. But if the postage stamp source is showing up that way on a 1080i or
720p subchannel, i.e. it is transmitted anamorphic in the postage stamp format,
then I've never been able to zoom in correctly. It just distorts.