[opendtv] Re: 70th Anniversary Blu-ray and standard DVDs of the Wizard of Oz

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:28:05 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> In the picture monitor screen shot below, the squeezed 1:1
> aspect ratio of the Blu-ray NTSC output is quite evident.
> The Ring around Leo should be perfectly round. It is oval.

That looks exactly the same as a DTV STB set for 16:9, but being output to a
4:3 TV set.

On a 4:3 monitor that can't zoom, my bet is that the image SHOULD BE only be
viewable in postage stamp format, if the BD player were set correctly.

> The waveform monitor shows the very wide blanking that
> corresponds to the 1:1 aspect ratio of the picture. You can
> count it out for yourself. It's about 30 microseconds.

Yes, but that would be correct for painting a 16:9 image, with black columns
left and right, on a 16:9 screen, right? And the image would then be stretched
out to a 4:3 actual image aspect ratio (the rest being the black columns).

For whatever reason, you are sending an image to the 4:3 monitor that is
expecting to be viewed on a 16:9 monitor.