[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:19:08 -0400

At 3:59 PM +0100 10/20/04, Alan Roberts wrote:
>Who says the cameras aren't oversampling? The sensors all have "precision
>offset" G from R/B, so they're effectively oversampling, read the specs.
>It's only when you get down to the level of the FX1 that oversampling goes
>away. And have you seen any pictures from a Viper with a decent lens? I
>have, and they're sharp to well oiver 30MHz.

The vVper is the only camera I know of that oversamples, and yes, it
makes very good pictures. But it too has only 2048 samples
horizontally. This is good for 720P, since it is more than 1.5 times
the target number of samples per line; not much help for 1920 x 1080.

And none of this addresses the encoding limitations with MPEG-2.

P.S. I can imagine seeing this high frequency information on a scope,
but what kind of a display are you using that can resolve these
details?