[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

At 10:17 PM +0100 10/18/04, Alan Roberts wrote:
>Indeed, MPEG2 would struggle, but a truly anonymous transmission system
>could carry MPEG4, WM(whatever version) etc, and by thoroughly future proof.
>What we need to standardise on is the transport stream, not the scanning
>format. Let's try to get it right this time.

Right on the mark!

MPEG-2 TS is widely used and has the flexibility to evolve since it
is just a packet data format with headers and descriptors. The only
real question is whether it is the most efficient transport available?

It would be a worthwhile endeavor to revisit this issue to see what
the optimum packet size(s) should be for various channels with
different BERs.

There may be some validity in moving to something like TCP/IP, if for
no other reason than to minimize packet repacking for transmission.
It looks like cable is moving in this direction, but they may have a
greater incentive to do this since a significant percentage of the
traffic on their networks is already TCP/IP for cable modems.