[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:54:13 +0100

Correct, 1024x576/50p has a lot going for it. It's one of our options, and
I'd like to see it in the hierarchy of usable resolutions.

We need both 50 and 60 because of production problems. If you live in a
509Hz country, your lighting runs at 50. Try shooting at 60 and you have to
take special measures to remove flicker. And vice versa. This situation will
be with us until incandescent filament lamps disappear. This issue isn't
going away; just ask anybody who makes programmes, it's one of the biggest
problems I have when coaching DoPs through the problems of shooting
"off-speed".