[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:07:59 +0100

Possibly a wrong assumption. If you were watching the 2004 "Last Night of
the Proms", I can confirm that it was shot exclusively in HDTV, using Sony
HDC950s and recorded on HDD5. I was involved with setting this up and was in
the OB truck for the event, standing behind the Vision Supervisor. It was
shot in 1080/50i, using a mixture of lenses, some genuine HD, some good SD,
one dubious SD. Generally, lenses were placed where their performances could
be used to best effect, but with some necessary exceptions. I suspect you
were seeing softness from the least good lenses.

I didn't see the broadcast programme, for obvious reasons.