[opendtv] 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:43:36 -0700

You might recall a recent posting suggesting that HDTV might be of little value
in countries using the 625 line system since that system's quality was likely
good enough. My position was, that as good as that image might be relative to
other analog based standards, it could not compete in quality with true HDTV
video displayed on a 720 or 1080 large screen display.
I'm revisiting this subject only because I saw a very graphic illustration
supporting my argument last evening when viewing the BBC production of "Last
Night at the Proms", on the Discovery HD channel. This is an excellent program
in every way but it was produced in the 625 (580? DTV) 16X9 format* and
compared to other HDTV programming on the same network was noticeably softer,
particularly on the medium and long shots which are such an integral part of
that program. Clearly the viewers in Britain would have noticed and wanted the
difference.

* my assumption.