[muglo] Re: "kettle of fish" [VERY OFF]

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:37:01 -0500

Ahh (sigh of satisfaction). A discussion after my own heart...
etymology :) :) :)

> I decided to look up the definition of kettle, in case it might throw some
> light on the question. There were a couple of minor surprises, such as the
> 5th definition from the American Heritage Dictionary and the reference to
> kettle being a quantity by the more modern WordNet definition number 2.
>
> KETTLE
> n.=20
>     1.      A metal pot, usually with a lid, for boiling or stewing.
>     2.       A teakettle.
>     3.      Music. A kettledrum.
>     4.      Geology. A depression left in a mass of glacial drift, formed b=
> the melting of an isolated block of glacial ice.
>     5.       A pothole. [I wonder if this has roots in Britain? I've never
> heard it used in Canada.]
>
> [Middle English ketel, from Old Norse ketill, and Old English cetel both
> from Latin catllus, diminutive of catnus, large bowl.]
>
> SOURCE: The American Heritage=AE Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed.
> Copyright =A9 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

From the Bible of the English language (Oxford Universal Dictionary,
the "short version"... it's only 8"x11"x3"):

for food.]

It seems the etymology of word relates to that item we use on the
stove. However,...

Defintion "3. Short for kettledrum. <i>Haml.</i> V.ii.286. (a musical
instrument, not likely related to a k. of fish I'm guessing)

And, on the subject of "A k. of fish" the OED has this to say:

Phr. <i>A k. of fish.</i> a. On the Tweed, etc. A picnic at which a
kettle of fish cooked <i>al fresco</i> is the chief thing eaten; also
state of things 1742.

No information on the origin of the saying but at least there's an
earliest date that goes with it as a starting point ;).