[muglo] Re: "kettle of fish" [VERY OFF]

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:43:11 -0500

> Does anyone know when the earliest English dictionary was created? It would
> seem that the answer to this question may perhaps be very old, if the term
> kentle distorted into kettle, with respect to fish. A very linguistically
> uncritical population might make the shift quite easily over a generation o=
> two, if indeed there was a shift at all.

We still have words that change meaning or have a meaning added within
20 or 30 years (though, without the discipline of the written word I
imagine that languages can evolve even faster... even in
pronounciation I can hear a significant difference between Canadian
English, and ESPECIALLY American English from the 1950s to today).

Eric.