[muglo] Re: "kettle of fish" [VERY OFF]

  • From: Larry Kryski <spellboundpub@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:32:14 -0500

On 05/02/09 05:47 PM, "Eurogarth" <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (b) Scot dia:a state of affairs in a pretty, fine, nice, etc., or a mess, an
> awkward state of affairs;

I think the contradictory meaning [pretty, fine, nice...] vs [mess, awkward,
etc] suggests that the message being carried is not in the words, but the
emphasis attached to the phrase. Indeed, I suspect that a lot of this type
of phraseology is just a way for the right brain (the emoting side, in
theory (for right-handed individuals, typically)) to get it's message of
acceptance or rejection across to the person listening. If this is the case,
then one could probably have substituted a number of phrases to do the same
thing, without altering the underlying message.

I think the problem is that our written language is highly left-brain
literate, but largely right-brain illiterate. That's what makes writing
expressions to convey emotion so difficult. This is not usually a problem in
person, since we can often tell the emotional content by the phrasing,
volume, speed, cadence, etc. of the speech.

Thus the expression "a fine kettle of fish" could be both a compliment or an
insult, depending on the emotion it carries when spoken. But we have no
emotional symbology [the right brain wants pictures not words] to convey the
actual emotional content. [Perhaps emoticons are the beginning!]

Thus when Eric [who is usually very reasoned and logical in is
presentations] used a "slightly different kettle of fish" and then wondered
where the expression came from, it would seem that his right brain was
possibly interjecting, trying to express something, while his left brain
[logical, speech side] wondered where it came from.

[This is getting serious, I'm getting inside Eric's head!!!   :-))    ]

Larry

Larry Kryski
Spell Bound Publishing
Suite 121