[muglo] Re: "kettle of fish" [VERY OFF]

  • From: Paul Thomas <paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:40:31 -0500

A good example of dialects is:

The word pronounced 'look' has at least 3 meanings that I know of in
different parts of England - I forget the details now:

'look'  as to look at something
'luck'  which we all hope for  and
'Luke'  the apostle

all pronounced as 'look'

Which reminds me of a joke about the Frenchman trying to learn English.
  He had struggled through things like 'through', 'thought', 'though',
etc.  and one day, passing one of the large London theatres, he saw on
the large placard "Pygmalion pronounced Success" - I give up he
said......

Enjoy

Paul