[muglo] Re: "kettle of fish" [VERY OFF]

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:21:00 -0500

On 9-Feb-05, at 5:49 PM, Ted Medzon wrote:

> I have sent an email to my friends at the Dictionary Society of North
> America. We should get an answer soon.
> Ted.
>
> As to the first English dictionary I only know it was born in Lichfield
> & the house where the inventor? lived is a local landmark.

To follow through on the Dictionary I looked up Lichfield & found Dr
Samuel Johnson, the Dictionary man.
Quote ..Lichfield

  In addition to its red brick cathedral, Samuel Johnson, the dictionary
pioneer was born in Lichfield in 1709 and there is a Samuel Johnson
Birthplace Museum in the city. The cathedral hosts The Lichfield
Gospels an illuminated manuscript dating from 730 which is displayed in
the vault.
TTFN,
TeeC