[muglo] Re: "kettle of fish" [VERY OFF]

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:27:55 -0500

On 9-Feb-05, at 9:58 AM, Larry Kryski wrote:

> Interesting adjunct, Tee. And interesting that it should be used in
> this
> fashion. I wonder if this was a totally independent term at this time,
> or
> whether it had perhaps already crossed over from the term kentle? I
> know
> there are areas of Britain where there is a lot of "liberty" taken with
> language.=20
>
> Your uncle must have had a booming business selling fish, to buy 10
> tons a
> week!

A typo as it should read 2 to 3 kettles a week. As Kentle sounds a bit
Cornish a change to kettle sounds logical. Cornish English sounds very
similar to Newfie BTW.
I believe the "liberty taken with language" is a feature/result of
dialect, which changes from County to County & sometimes from Town to
Town, even from district to district.
As to the first English dictionary I only know it was born in Lichfield
& the house where the inventor? lived is a local landmark.

TTFN,
TeeC