[modeleng] Re: FW: Rail Accident Investigation alert: RAIB investigation - Kirklees

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <psbr20252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:30:26 +0100

On 29/07/2011 10:59, Peter Sheppard wrote:

Always blank from web-mail?

This is what I writ!

Phil,

I'd rather they investigate a "near miss" before we have to investigate
why a boiler exploded!

There are many examples in the safety world (in all industries) where if
people had noted the warning signs, the accident may not have occurred.

I always feel that fusible plugs are a potential "weak point" (pardon
the pun) in the safety of a boiler.  You have to hope that they work
when required, but then, you only know if they don't work when they
don't (if you see what I mean).  You can't test them!  You can test one
similar, but not the one in situ!  (A bit like wire fuses).

It may have only partly worked, the report will be interesting.

Cheers

Peter