[modeleng] Re: FW: Rail Accident Investigation alert: RAIB investigation - Kirklees

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:14:02 +0800

G'Day Peter,

Well... What do you expect with the "down to a price" not "Up to a standard"
philosophy that was prevalent through the USA engineering businesses through
that era. It's a shame we have gone back to it..... world wide.....

Most failures occurred due to incorrect alloy for the locomotive in
question, or crusting over with scale..... Both are human causes, or perhaps
that should be, "preventable" with correct procedures.....

But on a similar note... Many of the early RCD units fitted over here failed
within 2 years..... so there was no point in having them fitted....... But
perhaps it was just the test button that didn't work...... <LAUGH> Who
knows?

Have a great weekend Peter.

Cheers,

Phill.