[modeleng] Re: FW: Rail Accident Investigation alert: RAIB investigation - Kirklees

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:08:31 +0100

I can remember a major accident in the 50's.
(Perhaps, "roughly remember" might be more accurate!)

It was on the Midland Region and a boiler "failed", when the driver,
fireman, and platform staff  "didnt recognise the noise that came from the
fusible plug having blown".
Dont remember any more.

As for accidents, despite all attempts, and massive expenditure, life is a
risk and nothing we will ever do will make it 100% accident free.
In fact, there may well be disadvantages to the attempts to do so.
All we can do is minimise the most obvious risks.

Alan