[modeleng] Re: FW: Rail Accident Investigation alert: RAIB investigation - Kirklees

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:51:29 +0800

G'Day Barrie,

Once the decompression starts, the water expands as it gasses off, and
floods the crown. It then gasses of again, but it only turns to very wet
steam. If the flow is good enough, then it will wet the fire. If not, then
it will, as you say, starve the fire of oxygen by giving it steam instead.
It's a really interesting process. As long as the pressure wave isn't tooooo
great, the normally safe boiler won't fail. And to failure from a fusible
plug going is almost too rare to think about.... Plus, the boiler needs to
be on it's way out due to thinning of the plates.......
But there is normally some water carry over unless the wrong alloy has been
used.......

The alloy is supposed to melt at only 21 - 66°C above the wet steam temp' of
the max pressure of the boiler...... It shouldn't take much to melt
it....... But in our models, the turndown rate is so high, we should stick
to using pure tin.

Cheers,

Phill.