[modeleng] Re: FW: Rail Accident Investigation alert: RAIB investigation - Kirklees

  • From: IAN BRAMBLE <ian.bramble@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:46:39 +0100 (BST)

A fusible plug isn't there to put the fire out - it's there as a warning
device.
The fire should be dropped as soon as the plug goes.
Quote from the 'black book' (Handbook for Railway Steam Locomotive Enginemen)
"...the lead melts and allows steam to escape into the firebox, which acts as a
warning to the Enginemen. Should this occur both injectors should be
immediately
put on and steps taken to remove or deaden the fire"
Ian