Re: [MoAccess] Motif ES USB not working

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:15:35 -0400

Rod, the cards sell for between $120 and $300, depending on their
function. Most of them are worthless, in my opinion. They were designed
for Yamaha synths in the 90's, and so are technically way behind the
times in many ways. Yamaha made them work on the Motif and Motif ES
because they already had a full product line of these PLG cards, so they
could easily add them on as a Motif feature. The cards have some
technical problems, though, and they had to be left out of the design
for the XS so that that workstation could move forward in other areas.

Having said that, though, there are a few good PLG cards.

The VL board uses physical modeling to immitate wind and some other solo
instruments. While the instruments don't always sound 100% like their
real world version, they are extremely expressive. They are many more
times expressive than what is even possible on the XS. However, you can
only play one of these at a time, so you can't for example, use one of
these cards to play a sax section in a Motif song, for example. It is
good for playing live, though.

The DX card emulates a Yamaha DX7. If you're really set on getting a
super authentic DX7 rhodes sound, FM style bass, etc, then this is a
good card. However, it, also, can only play a single part at once.

There is an AN PLG card. This is a modeled analog synthesizer. It
produces much better analog synth sounds than is possible with the
motif. However, it plays only one part, and you can't fully edit the
sounds.

Last, I like the VH board, which is a vocal harmonizer. It isn't the
best one that I've ever heard, but it is better than most of the cheap
stuff that people have. It isn't noisy, and it integrates easily with
the Motif. It will track chords in a Motif song, and automatically
produce 3 part backing vocals for you as you sing into the mic. It also
has a mode where you can play the actual notes that you'd like the
backing voices to sing. The card is accessible (I wrote up lots of notes
about it in the ES Accessible Reference).

The others aren't so awesome. There are two different piano PLG cards, a
percussion card, a card that works like an XG-compatible synth module,
and a few others. Like I said, I don't like most of them.

Hope this helps.

Bryan