[mac4theblind] Re: David Poehlman, long-time list member, was robbed, read on

  • From: John Panarese <jpanarese@xxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 16:27:21 -0400

    This was not meant to be a philosophical discussion about the value of home
alarms.  There are a lot of details that Have not been presented here nor do I
feel they are necessary or practical to do.  You are assuming that his computer
equipment was all he lost and this is an incorrect assumption.  Additionally, I
already pointed out that the robber had been casing his house and were watching
him close enough to know exactly when he went out to get the mail.  They had
five or ten minutes at best to take what they wanted and they took the most
expensive items, as drug addicts will do in quick burglary situations.

    I have no doubts that an alarm would have prevented such a thing from
happening in his situation and I know of many instances where this occurred.
You can't change what has happened nor should one tell someone the obvious
after they have had such a thing happen to them.  Would you like someone
lecturing you on what you should have done after it's already too late?

     However, George, as I said, I have plenty of family who are members of law
enforcement, and you'd be quite surprised and shocked by how even an alarm does
not guarantee prevention against a determined and professional thief.  Alarms
are just a speed bump to that crowd.  David was fortunate that these folks were
in and out and didn't decide to take more and physically harm him to do so.

Tel, (631) 724-4479
Email, john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com

APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL FOR MAC OSX LION