[lit-ideas] Re: the standard for higher standards

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:11:28 -0000

'I really don't want to "kill them all" out of revenge. I want to "kill them all" so 9/11 doesn't happen again.'

There, a day of encouragement.

Not sure that the Carthaginian solution is the right one unless the allegorical fields being salted relate to the manner in which people become fundamentalist (whatever religion we're talking about) - the logical progression being that you might just as well get rid of the people so that they don't have the chance of becoming fundamentalist.. And you're right of course that the end of oil should provide a more profound solution. Unless, that is, the ending of oil - the run down of resources - proves to be the worst part of it.

That aside, it's the lack of a revenge motive that really matters. With that put away we can think about the means to your end, which isn't 'kill them all', that being the means, but that '9/11 doesn't happen again', the end.