[lit-ideas] Re: the standard for higher standards

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:30:19 -0500

>>"How about a Nietzschean transvaluation of values here? Back to root
assumptions."

Phil: Um, for Nietzsche there are no 'root' anythings.  It's all surfaces.

Eric: I meant "our" root assumptions: me contextualizing, Judy claiming the need for universal higher standards of conduct regardless of circumstances.

Eric continues: "Why higher standards?"

Phil: Doesn't it seem self-defeating to lower one's standards
in order to convince others that it is better to get along than to fight?

Eric: In the absence of standards, we wouldn't be "convincing" anyone, just eliminating them. No need to get along, just get rid of...

Phil: Since the current unpleasantness can only have a political solution, why not maintain as high a standard as is reasonable in order to make a political solution as attractive as possible?

Eric: I don't understand you here. Attractive to whom?